Sme keys not Working

Tell us whatever CreatiVision-related story you want!
LennonNZ

Sme keys not Working

Post by LennonNZ » Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:58 am

I got another Wizzard and found some keys on the right hand keyboard are not working. Using a known right keyboard it works 100%

1st Row.. 8 Right
2nd Row.. I Right

Would this be a wire to the computer or the membrane broken.

I took it apart and it looks like a complex membrane with the keyboard stuck on top of it.

Its possible to fix or to get new keyboard membranes? Or does someone have a pile or right keyboards to replace it?

Single Player games work fine (Left Hand Controller) but hard to sell it with basic when you can't type a lot of the keys and RET.

Thanks
cheshirenoir

Re: Sme keys not Working

Post by cheshirenoir » Sun Jul 28, 2024 9:07 am

While there's a chance it could be the cable, it's almost overwhelmingly more likely to be the membrane. They are difficult to fix. (I have never got using conductive ink to work on one of these)
At this point, there aren't any membrane replacement as it's too niche a product to get the scale needed to make them financially feasable.

There are a few options. Many of which are discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=313

Tom's adapter (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=313&start=40&post_id=3044)is probably the most forgiving and actually useful. It gives you 2 Atari style joystick ports and a PS/2 keyboard. It's my "go to" adapter. My adapter (https://github.com/cheshirenoir/CreatiV ... eplacement) has the advantage of fitting in the original controllers, but it's a bit fiddly. It's CC so you can completely go mad with redesigning it if you like. Go ham!

Hope some of this helps!

Chesh